Off Topic: Limitations on Using the Orcid ID Feature

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Off Topic: Limitations on Using the Orcid ID Feature

Post by DrJJWMac »

I was excited to try the Orchid ID feature in Bookends. I discovered however that my Orcid ID is not registered within OpenAlex. When I enter my Orcid ID in the Bookends settings, I get the message that ... "This ORCID ID does not exist, isn't in the OpenAlex database, or has no public content."

For those who may find this happens, it seems we are at the mercy of whether and how OpenAlex coordinates to link an Orcid ID. My interpretation of the documentation suggests that the primary funnel between the two is through CrossRef, not through a direct API.

Just an FYI, nothing more.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Off Topic: Limitations on Using the Orcid ID Feature

Post by Jon »

That's my understanding as well. But things evolve rapidly in this space, and I expect they'll get better at matching people with ORCID IDs (OpenAlex is rather new - their web interface launched just last month). They are quite responsive in my experience, and I know of at least one person whose ORCID ID was added when I asked about it. We have a FAQ that may be helpful for those in this situation.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/support/f ... ould-i-do?

Jon
Sonny Software