Open PDF in another app

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
daniel0192

Open PDF in another app

Post by daniel0192 »

Hi,

I know that Bookends PDF reader is great already, but on my Mac and on my iPad I use Highlights. Probably other user will use other apps that they like more for some specific reason.

-> Would be possible to set another default app on the iOS to open the PDFs? Or, a share option that doesn't export the PDF, but just send the location in files, so the other app would use the same PDF file?

Thank you,
Daniel
Serge

Re: Open PDF in another app

Post by Serge »

I just checked with Highlights app and it opens Bookends shared attachments 'in place', so after a few added annotations they are visible in Bookends without any extra steps of sharing attachments back via the Share icon.
rihahynek

Post by rihahynek »

Hello,

I've registered the same problem on my iPad. I use PDF Expert for highlighting, and sharing pdf file from Bookends leads to export/saving pdf file to PDF Expert, not opening the file from its original location (attachment folder of Bookends). On Mac it works correctly.

I don't know whether it is the issue of Bookends for iOS or pdf reader (PDF Expert in my case).

Any idea?

Hynek
somelinguist

Post by somelinguist »

rihahynek wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:41 pm I use PDF Expert for highlighting, and sharing pdf file from Bookends leads to export/saving pdf file to PDF Expert, not opening the file from its original location (attachment folder of Bookends).
I think this is how PDF Expert works on iOS/iPad when opening a file from an external location. I usually get a popup with a progress indicator around an X button (see the attached image). If you tap the X button before the progress indicator finishes, it opens in place. Otherwise, I think it copies the file to PDF Exprert's storage. When I cancel the copy/import, Bookends reflects any changes in the attachment.
Attachments
pdfexpert-open.jpeg
pdfexpert-open.jpeg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
rihahynek

Post by rihahynek »

Hello,

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately not working on my iPad - despite pushing "X" button, the file is copied/saved to Inbox folder of PDF Expert and opened from there.

Hynek
hardcore00

Post by hardcore00 »

Hi Daniel,

Customizing default apps for opening specific file types on iOS devices like iPads can be limited compared to macOS. Apple typically restricts the ability to change default apps for certain file types, including PDFs, although they may introduce more flexibility in future updates.

However, you can still use alternative PDF reader apps like Highlights by manually opening PDF files in those apps from the Files app or by using the "Open In" option within other apps that support file sharing.

To share the location of a PDF file without exporting it, you can use the "Share" feature in the Files app. Simply select the PDF file, tap the "Share" button, and choose the option to share the file location via AirDrop, Messages, or email. This will allow you to send the location of the PDF file to others, and they can open it in their preferred PDF reader app.

While these methods may not provide the same level of convenience as setting a default app, they still offer flexibility in accessing and sharing PDF files across different apps on iOS devices.

I hope this helps!

Best regards
:wink: