Clarification on syncing behavior

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mwarner

Clarification on syncing behavior

Post by mwarner »

From the BE user guide, cloud syncing is described as, "Bookends checks to see if syncing is required every time a library is opened or closed, or when Bookends moves to the background (e.g. when another application comes to the front)."

I'm running v. 14.2.5 on two Macs with iCloud and have noticed an annoying behavior when I upload several PDFs into BE from home and then realize they aren't showing up on BE at my work computer. I'm wondering if this is because I did not close BE or move it to the background at home before heading to the office? If this is the case, why not let BE autosync every so many minutes?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Clarification on syncing behavior

Post by Jon »

The sync frequency referred to in the User Guide references to metadata (e.g. authors, title, etc.). Bookends doesn't sync PDFs, that's handled by whatever file sync service you use (Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc.), and Bookends has no influence over when that occurs.

Jon
Sonny Software
mwarner

Re: Clarification on syncing behavior

Post by mwarner »

Sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the metadata. When viewing my library on my office computer, I cannot see the references that I brought into BE at home this morning. I will have to make sure that importing was working correctly back at home just to be sure and will reach out via support contact once I have more information.