Highlight References the text turns white

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Zyblorg

Highlight References the text turns white

Post by Zyblorg »

I set up Bookends on a new Mac yesterday, and now both on the new machine and my old the font for references that have a colour label has turned white (which for me is most of them). I don't know how to make it black again. Any thoughts?

Greg
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 14.58.12.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 14.58.12.jpg (184.4 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Highlight References the text turns white

Post by Jon »

The text color is determined by an algorithm that chooses what is most readable when the background is colored.

You have several options I can think of.

1. In Settings, make the green a bit darker. That will increase the contrast.
2. In Settings, tell Bookends to color just the first column. That's what I do, and I think it look a lot better.

Jon
Sonny Software
Zyblorg

Post by Zyblorg »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your quick reply (as always). I have a terrible memory, but I could swear that until a few day ago all the references were in black font, regardless of the background colour? Am I just imagining that? And why did all the colours change when I installed Bookends on a second computer? It's as if the default colours in on the new computer propogated back to the old one. Again, perhaps I am getting senile.

G
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The algorithm we use for handling text on a colored background has been the same since...well...since we added color labels. If they were always black you could use dark shades like brown or navy blue. And FYI, when I use the factory default green it's white text on my system, too.

It's possible that you edited the colors on your old Mac so that that green was light enough that the text was black, and simply forgot (no, not a sign of senility!).

To your last point, if you use Bookends cloud sync then color label values do sync across devices. Are you saying that the color on the old Mac changed to match the factory default colors on the new Mac? If so I'd have to ask Serge about that.

Jon
Sonny Software