Scanning in Microsoft Word: keeping the cursor position and displaying the style choice window

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nturcan

Scanning in Microsoft Word: keeping the cursor position and displaying the style choice window

Post by nturcan »

I work with a Microsoft Word document, which I scan several times. I have two questions: (1) I noticed that after scanning, the cursor moves to the end of the document, after the bibliography. Couldn't the cursor stay where it was before scanning? It would be faster and more logical. (2) I also noticed that the window for choosing the style and presence of the bibliography appears every time the document is scanned. Could it be that the style choice window only appears on the first scan of the MS Word document and not every time? It would be much faster. There might be a button next to the other buttons in Word to change the citation style.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Scanning in Microsoft Word: keeping the cursor position and displaying the style choice window

Post by Jon »

It's conceivable that Bookends could keep the cursor location approximately where it was when the scan began, but likely not, since the text before it will often if not usually change as temp citations are removed and replaced with final citations. But since Bookends is doing the scan and replacement with AppleEvents I'm not sure it's easy to do. As for the scan dialog, it lets you change many options for scanning. Why remove that flexibility (and confuse users who want to make changes but don't see how)? In any case, isn't the Scan button the default? Just hit Return to accept the defaults and be done with it.

Jon
Sonny Software
nturcan

Re: Scanning in Microsoft Word: keeping the cursor position and displaying the style choice window

Post by nturcan »

Thank you very much for your reply! I insist on point 2. Changing the citation style is rarely done after the style was first chosen at the beginning of the first scan of the Word document. This change only occurs if the article is submitted to another journal that uses a different style. It therefore makes more sense for the dialog box to appear only at the beginning and when needed. For example, Zotero has a button called Document Preferences, where you can change the style only when needed. EndNote also has among the MS Word buttons the possibility to choose a new style from a list of available styles called, without confusion, Styles.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There are a lot more options than just changing the format. Sorry, I don't see making relatively significant changes in the UI (adding complicating new UI elements) for such a trivial thing.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

I agree with Jon - please do not remove it.