Field codes to plain text after scan in word document?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Sarah1986

Field codes to plain text after scan in word document?

Post by Sarah1986 »

Hi,
Question: How can I convert the Bookends Field codes to plain text after scan in word document?

Context: I'm co-authoring a paper with >10 colleagues. I'm responsible for the final check on citations & references and generating a clean bibliography. All the authors have been typing their citations in text format and adding the full article in a references list at the end. I've found all these articles and added them to my Bookends, and inserted the Bookends citation into the document, and scanned to generate the bibliography.

Now I need to share a version back to all 10 colleagues (across different universities and industry bodies), so I want to remove the bookends field codes and just share a version that has the citations and bibliography as plain text. I used to use Endnote and there was a button that you could click "convert to plain text" at this stage of editing.

How do I do this with Bookends?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Field codes to plain text after scan in word document?

Post by Jon »

You can scan again, and in the dialog uncheck "Retain Hidden Citations".

Alternatively, you can do this in Word directly. I've never done it myself, but if you google there are lots of hits. Here's one I found:

Command-A (select all the text in the doc).
Command-6 (changes all the field codes to text of just the results)

I'll try it myself when I can and post back here what I find. But it's easy enough for you to try. I'd do it on a COPY of the paper to test.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I don't know if you're aware, but you can import references from existing bibliographies into Bookends if they have DOIs in Crossref. This is useful in the case you describe, where collaborators provide references you want to add to your library. This function is available via File -> Import From Existing Bibliography.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Field codes to plain text after scan in word document?

Post by Jon »

Command-A
Command-6

worked nicely.

Jon
Sonny Software