Odd behavior with circumflex accent and subsequent citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Zyblorg

Odd behavior with circumflex accent and subsequent citation

Post by Zyblorg »

Hi Jon,

I am getting an odd behaviour. For most of my citations I use the circumflex ^ within my citations, for the name to appear outside brackets, as in "{^Burnyeat, 1990, #85036@142} argues that..." etc.

But this journal (the same one from the previous thread) doesn't like parentheses after the name. So they want the first citation to be like:

Burnyeat, M. F. The Theaetetus of Plato [Theaetetus] (Indianapolis, 1990) pp.34-67.

And they want to second citation to be like:

Burnyeat, Theaetetus, pp.120-121.

In the Format for this journal, I have the subsequent citation set up as:

a, s, p

But because I include a circumflex accent before the name, like this:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 1.19.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 1.19.55 PM.png (14.18 KiB) Viewed 66 times
I am getting this when scanned:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 1.18.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 1.18.59 PM.png (8.57 KiB) Viewed 66 times
As you can see, there is no comma or space between the author and short title. [Note, I fixed the double periods].

When I remove the circumflex accent before the name, it works correctly.

I would rather not have to delete all the circumflex accents, because for other journals I need to keep them. Although, I could obvious keep them in the Scrivener original and just delete them from the Word file once I export it. But it would be nice to know what is going on.

Any thoughts?

Greg
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Odd behavior with circumflex accent and subsequent citation

Post by Jon »

Without stepping through the code, my guess is that since you've moved the author out of the formatted citation Bookends treats it as a missing field. Since it's missing, the space before the data isn't output.

There are at least two solutions I can think of.

1. Don't use the caret, it's really a convenience function. Enter the authors last name in the body of the text, in front of the temp citation.

2. If you want to keep it, edit the format with a "hard quote mark", which is always output even if the field in front of it it empty. It's the backquote key, `

Like this:

a,` `s, p

Jon
Sonny Software
Zyblorg

Re: Odd behavior with circumflex accent and subsequent citation

Post by Zyblorg »

Thanks Jon.

G