Journal Abbreviation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
akfaour

Journal Abbreviation

Post by akfaour »

How do I automatically import the journal abbreviation to a specific field for example “Journal Abbreviation” when I add a reference to my library?

Do I have to create or use a filter?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Journal Abbreviation

Post by Jon »

You mean you want to create your own journal glossary, in addition to the ones we provide, and import journal abbreviations from somewhere? You can't do that, but you can create your own glossary in a text file and have Bookends use that glossary. If that's what you want to do I'll tell you how.

Or do you mean you import a reference from online and want the journal abbreviation imported into a user field you define as an abbreviation? If that's it, you have to modify the import filter to put the info after the abbreviated field tag into the Bookends field of your choice.

But that's usually not a great solution. Journal glossaries are provided for that very purpose, and are far more flexible.

Jon
Sonny Software
akfaour

Post by akfaour »

Thanks Jon.

I would like to ensure that whenever I import a new reference from online (e.g PubMed) or a PDF, the journal abbreviation is added to a field called, for example, Journal Abbreviation.

At the moment I note that the journal abbreviations are added to the Journal field on a seperate line after the journal name (is that the default behaviour of bookends?).

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Before ansering -- are you using the Medline journal glossary? If not, you should. If you do, why do you want to import the short title?

If that's really what you want, though, you can. Edit the PubMed filter. The PubMed tag for full journal name is JT. The tag for abbreviated name is TA. Please these in front of the field name where you want them (by default, TA is imported to the Journal field).

Jon
Sonny Software