Rescan PDF attachments for DOI?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ghoetker

Rescan PDF attachments for DOI?

Post by ghoetker »

Hi. For some reason, a number of PDFs I recently imported either didn't find the DOI or didn't scan for it. Regardless, the PDFs are definitely in the PDF. If it possible to ask Bookends to scan an attachment again to find the DOI so I can then autofill based on it? I can copy from the PDF, but given how many articles I have, I'd rather do it automatically.

Many thanks for any help.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Rescan PDF attachments for DOI?

Post by Jon »

If you do an Autocomplete Paper, Bookends will look for the DOI again.

Note that just because you can see a DOI in the PDF, it doesn't mean that Bookends can. PDFs are complicated documents, and what you see may not reflect what is actually embedded in the PDF. More importantly, publishers can format documents such that DOIs are broken by spaces or line breaks, which normally indicate the end of the DOI. If you copy and paste DOIs that aren't found by Bookends, you'll often seen extraneous, sometimes invisible, characters. Another possible issue is that the DOI isn't registered with Crossref.

In any case, after testing, if you think that there is a DOI that Bookends should be able to detect but doesn't, please send the PDF to support@sonnysoftware.com and I'll see why that's happening.

Jon
Sonny Software
ghoetker

Re: Rescan PDF attachments for DOI?

Post by ghoetker »

Hi Jon,

Brilliant and thank you for the quick response!

Glenn