export to html

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tom

export to html

Post by tom »

Hi Jon and list,

Will there be a feature in B8 to export databases in html format, or is it already possible and I just missed it?

thanks
tom
Jon
Site Admin

Re: export to html

Post by Jon »

tom wrote:Will there be a feature in B8 to export databases in html format, or is it already possible and I just missed it?
Hi Tom,

It's already possible and you just missed it. In the Bib Formatter menu option, you can specify many options for outputting a bibliography (format name, destination, etc.). One of the options is HTML (as opposed to styled text (RTF), plain text, and BibTeX).

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

export to html

Post by tom »

OK, thanks. Is it possible to add some tags like endnote does:

<span id="autart">Ben Gaied N., Glasser N., Ramalanjaona N., Betlz H., Wolff P., Marquet R., Burger A. and Mely Y.</span> <span id="datart">(2005).</span> <span id="titart">8-vinyl-deoxyadenosine,
an alternative fluorescent nucleoside analogue to
2Õ-deoxyribosyl-2-aminopurine with improved properties.</span> <span id="jouart">Nucleic Acid Research</span>
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends won't do that for you automatically. It is possible to add HTML tags in the format itself (enclose them in $ signs or ` backquotes), which will then be output with the reference data. You could put this in the Order field, for example:

$<span id="autart">$a$</span>$

Span is used for style sheets, as far as I know. Why do you want it output for each element in the bibliography (since Bookends takes care of the styling for you)?

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

export to html

Post by tom »

styling yes. but how can I use eg different colors for each field (maybe I missed something again)?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: export to html

Post by Jon »

tom wrote:styling yes. but how can I use eg different colors for each field (maybe I missed something again)?
Well, if the text is colored in Bookends, that will be included in the HTML output.

If you want black and white text in the database (very likely) and color only in the HTML, then use the same strategy in the format to output the color tags:

$<font color="FF0000">$a$</font>$

will output the authors in red.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

export to html

Post by tom »

thanks Jon
:D
tom

export to html

Post by tom »

so I set all the tags in my format:

$<span id="autart">$a$</span> <span id="datart">$(d).$</span> <span id="titart">$t.$</span>....

and I get as output:

<HTML><BODY>
<span id="autart">Mercep M., Sussman J.J., Noguchi P.</span> <span id="datart">(2001).</span> <span id="titart">Activation-indu<I>ced apoptosis</I>.</span>

curiosly the title is only halfway in italic???
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, I see that. Looks like the styled text offset is incorrect. I'll look into this.

This has gotten pretty specific, so let's take this off the forum. Please email us about it at

support@sonnysoftware.com

and we'll continue the discussion.

Jon
Sonny Software