grouping of references in bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Chemist

grouping of references in bibliography

Post by Chemist »

Hi-

In my "spare" time I'm (still) learning how to use BE. For example, EN will allow the user to group several references in the bibliography that are quoted together in the text,thus:
1. Blair, T. J. of Bull. 2000, 20, 234-235; Schroeder, G. Hypocrites 2005, 234, 1002-1023.
2. Bush, G.W. Proc. War Crim. 2004, 2, 12-14.

...as opposed to:
1. Blair, T.
2. Schroeder, G.
3. Bush, G. W. (etc)

And so I assume that there must be a convenient way to do so with BE. :shock: ...but spending many hours in the manual has so far not resolved the matter.

If anyone could take a minute to explain to me how this is done, it would be really great!

Thanks

Chemist in Edmonton
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Chemist,

Sorry, Bookends can't do this.

Jon
Sonny Software
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Hmmm. What are the odds that this could be included in a future version of BE? Is this too drastic? Not to be too picky, but when writing scientific papers, this is a common way of keeping the number of column-inches under control.

Chemist
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Chemist,

It is quite complicated to implement and, frankly, rarely called for (at least since Science did away with it). So while it is possible that we would add this feature at some time in the future, it's not high on our to-do list.

Jon
Sonny Software
Chemist

Post by Chemist »

Hi Jon

I can imagine that it might be difficult to implement. Guess most of your users are not in my field. The chemistry journals by ACS (Americal Chemical Society), Elsevier and Wiley do use it. I don't know very much at all about writing progs; perhaps such a function could eventually be included in the exisiting export formats for J. Am. Chem. Soc. or Tetrahedron Lett. Oh, well.

:?

Chemist