How to duplicate an entry within one database?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
swisswuff

Post by swisswuff »

... OK found the problem - - - This copy - paste command does not work in list view at all - it works only once the reference window is opened!

At this moment, I think it does make sense like that. At first I was looking for a duplicate command, but not having it prevents me from hitting it twice.

I do not require a list copy / paste command, as each entry must be edited carefully anyway; all I wanted was to not have to copy some ISO publication details (they're somewhat repetitive and the place is always Geneva,....).

Since I have to make sure, all adjustments for the copied / cloned item are correct, I must do that in the reference window with all fields editable anyway. So nothing is gained by having multiple copies done at once, except introduce source for error...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes! Thank you. This is a point I have tried to make before. Copy/Paste or Duplicate are only useful when you are adding references that then must be edited, which means you must be in the reference window.

Jon
Sonny Software
hareiko

Post by hareiko »

Hi all,
1. I wholeheartedly agree with tharpold. Duplicating in List View is what one would naturally do. I also usually work in list view. Why can't we have these menu items enabled in both list view (when one item is selected) as well as in reference view.
2. Why do I have to use two menu items "copy reference" and "paste reference" to duplicate a record. I would be much happier with an added menu item "duplicate reference", enabled in List view (when one item is selected) as well as in Ref View?
Best regards
Hans-Reinhard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Because it makes no sense to do so, as per my comments earlier. And the advantage of copy/paste is that you can place the reference where you want it in the database (for those who care about the particular order, and some do -- this is particularly an issue when you use the reference window as the primary view). Really, this is not a big deal.

Jon
Sonny Software