Conversion tip for dbs with long names

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Conversion tip for dbs with long names

Post by Jon »

Hi All,

It turns out there is a bug (in the Finder, I believe) that will prevent a converted Bookends 9 database's file Type from "taking" if the converted file name is too long (> 31 chars I think). That's causing Bookends to repeatedly ask to convert the file, and resulting in an error after the second attempt.

The workaround is to make sure the converted file name is short (< 31 chars) *when you create it* (renaming it afterward won't do any good). Now the converted db will open properly.

I'm looking into a solution, and if I find one I'll upload it. But for now, use this workaround if you encounter this problem. Once your databases are converted it will no longer be an issue.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Conversion tip for dbs with long names

Post by Jon »

Jon wrote:I'm looking into a solution, and if I find one I'll upload it. But for now, use this workaround if you encounter this problem. Once your databases are converted it will no longer be an issue.
I've made a change that seems to work. If you are having problems with converting databases with long names, please download Bookends again. If your conversion went well, there is no need to download it again.

Jon
Sonny Software