Bookends and Mellel

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rwg

Bookends and Mellel

Post by rwg »

I am using Bookends in conjunction with Mellel and have run into a couple of problems.

1. When using the Copy Selected Formatted command, all diacritics (except standard accents such as the umlaut, acute and grave) are stripped away in Mellel, leaving just the bare letters. (The entries display correctly in the View Formatted window, and the font selected for output supports the characters in question.)

2. Likewise, quotation marks around for example titles of journal articles appear in Mellel as straight quotes rather than smart quotes (to which my preferences have been set in Mellel).

I don't know whether it is Bookends or Mellel that is causing these problems, but any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Rolf
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Rolf,

This sounds like an issue we have taken care of in 8.0.2. Please check after that version is released and get in touch with me directly if you still have problems.

Jon
Sonny Software
rwg

Post by rwg »

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear it. And I apologise for having overlooked a recent post in which my first question had already been addressed.

Regards,

Rolf
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

If I read this correctly it is said that plain quotation marks will be translated to typographical quotes if these are set in the Mellel prefs. But I can't figure it out and the User Guide does not help me.

Could somebody help?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think what he was getting at was using smart quotes in a bibliography. Bookends will do that, if you enter them in the format where you want them. It will not substitute them automatically, you have to enter them (Option-[ and Shift-Option-[).

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

That's sad. Is it planned to improve this?

By the way, the shortcuts are option-^ and option-2 on the German Keyboard (for „ and “) or option-shift-q and option-q for » and «.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Why is it sad? It works the way it is designed to, with user control. I just don't understand.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Maybe I misunderstood you.

What I meant is the following: I cannot insert plain quotation marks in my BE-database and then they will be automatically changed to „“ or »« or whatever I set the prefs in Mellel. But this would be great because I use different types of quotations marks in different sorts of text. Therefore I call this "sad", which maybe is not the exactly correct word. I mean it's a great pity.

Hope, now you understand.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes. I thought you were referring to formats. You can set quote marks (in formats that require quotes around title), and Bookends will output what you entered (straight or smart quote marks), so you control that.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

sorry for again did not say precisly what I mean: There are Titles which contain quotationsmarks. And this should be automatically changed if user wants to imho.