Attempts to open unavailable database @ startup

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ChrisLovelace

Attempts to open unavailable database @ startup

Post by ChrisLovelace »

I periodically need to access a Bookends database on another computer on my network. I do this by mounting that hard drive, and opening the database (instead of using the BE Server, which I'd rather not use). However, the next time I start Bookends (and everytime after that), the program tries to open that file while it starts up. Anybody know of a way I can get it to stop?

I tried clearing the recently opened files list to no avail. There's no place in the prefs. to select a default database (it normally opens my usual, local database when I startup--and it does this after it can't find the network volume.) Does BE just try to open the last file that was opened using the File menu? If so, then I suppose I could just, every time I access that database, close & re-open my local database, but that's a bit of a hassle.

Any suggestions?

Chris
-----------------------------------------------
Chris Lovelace, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri USA
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Chris,

Yes, Bookends opens the last opened db on launch. So the workaround you suggest will work (it's not too much of a hassle since you can use the "recent" item in the File -> Open menu).

Jon
Sonny Software
ChrisLovelace

that doesn't work

Post by ChrisLovelace »

Jon,

I started BE & waited for it to try to open the networked database (I don't have that drive mounted). When that failed, it opened my local database. I then closed that database & re-opened it using the File-Open menu. Then, I quit BE and re-started. It still tries to find that networked drive. Is there anything else I can do to get it to stop doing this?

Thanks.

Chris
Chris Lovelace, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's odd -- I wonder if there is a problem with your Preferences. Please remove Bookends 9 Preferences (that's where the alias to the last-opened-db is stored) and launch again. If you still have problems with Bookends failing to open the last-opened-db, please contact me directly for tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
ChrisLovelace

temporary fix, but still happens

Post by ChrisLovelace »

Trashing my prefs. has fixed the problem. (Of course, I had to re-do all of the settings I'd changed.)

Just for fun, I made a copy of my new prefs file, mounted the network drive, and started BE. After my local database opened, I also opened the remote database, closed it, and quit BE. I un-mounted the remote drive and re-started BE. It asked me for a password to mount the remote drive and I hit cancel. It asked me which local database to open and I selected my usual one. It asked again for a password to mount the network drive, and I hit cancel. After my local database opened, I quit BE, then re-started. Once again, it asked me for a password to mount the network drive. It opened my local database (the one I'd just opened before) after I hit cancel. However, it seems that something is being stored that makes BE continue to try to mount a remote drive, even if the database there wasn't the last one opened.

As one more test, I trashed the prefs & repeated the above. However, this time, after opening & closing the remote database, I closed & re-opened my local database. When I dismount the network drive & re-start BE, it still asks for a password to re-mount that network drive.

Jon, does this sound like a bug, or am I doing something wrong (perhaps in the way I'm accessing the remote database)?

Chris
Chris Lovelace, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Chris, nothing you're doing wrong. I'll try to repduce and see what's going one.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Chris, the problem is that although Bookends knows to open the local database, it still tries to mount the remote database so that it can resolve its alias (for the "Open Recent" menu). I've changed this behavior so that it won't attempt to mount an unavailable server, and this fix will be included in 9.0.4.

Jon
Sonny Software