Importing paths to attached PDFs with XML

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
leuliett

Importing paths to attached PDFs with XML

Post by leuliett »

I considering making the switch from Endnote to Bookends. From what I've read, it looks like Drag and Drop is the only option to add links to PDF files. My current Endnote database has links to >500 PDF files on my disk. I would rather not add all of these links by hand.

Is there any way to add a field to the XML files that Endnote exports that will be recognized by Bookends as the path for an attached PDF?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Bookends 8 XML import maps the Image field to Keywords, and adds the • character for you. Have you tried this?
Henry

how to export image link info from endnote?

Post by Henry »

I have the same problem, an EndNote 6 database with about 3000 references, of which about 550 have pdf files attached. I have tried editing the endnote export style to include the image, with a %K prefix. When importing into BookEnds, the file name shows up in the Keywords field, but without the preceding dot indicating an attachment.

I suspect that the prefix should be different from %K, but I have not found what it should be in the user manual.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Henry
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Henry,

I'm afraid EN 6 doesn't output XML, so Bookends doesn't know this is an attachment. If you can, open your database in EN 8 or 9, then export as XML. Bookends should pick up the image in that case.

Jon
Sonny Software
Henry

Post by Henry »

Thank you for your rapid response, Jon. I will see if I can do that with a trial copy of endnote.

Henry