Feature Request: Chapter Entry from Edited Volume

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

When duplicating an edited book, should the default behavior be to:

Copy it exactly as it is, without changes
No votes
Modify the copy so that the new reference is a book chapter
50%
I like this functionality, but I'd prefer to implement it in a different way
38%
I don't care or don't understand why this is needed
13%

Total votes: 8

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

frvs wrote:Would it not be possible to send Volume to whatever field shows the label Volume (and not, necessarily, to User14) under Book Chapter ? This would allow for the possibility that different users may have mapped fields differently. For example, under Book Chapter, I have maintained Volume in the same place it occupies under Book, but I have moved Series Title to User14.
No. Bookends doesn't "read" field names -- they can be renamed as you like, in any language you like. The default for Volume in a Book Chapter is user14 (which is renamed Volume of course for Book Titles), and so that is the place the volume will be moved. You can of course move it yourself afterward if you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

frvs wrote:Well, if this feature is going to be implemented via a new menu option (and I cannot but cheer), then I propose to go all the way in this path and implement nicka's suggestion as an additional option within this new menu option.
There is a misunderstanding here. What nicka wants is increased flexibility in cross-referencing. This is completely independent of how the data are stored in the database.

Jon
Sonny Software

P. S. Ah, after I posted this I saw that Luhmann made the same point.
frvs

Post by frvs »

Jon wrote:[There is a misunderstanding here. What nicka wants is increased flexibility in cross-referencing. This is completely independent of how the data are stored in the database.

Jon
Sonny Software

P. S. Ah, after I posted this I saw that Luhmann made the same point.
Yes, Luhman made that point quite clearly. That puts my post in the wrong thread, I guess. Sorry.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

At the moment I'm *not* moving the following fields from the Edited Book to the new Book Chapter:

Short Title
Keywords
Notes
Abstract

OK?

Jon
Sonny Software
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Hmmm. I can imagine wanting to copy the Keywords (minus attachments), since most of the time the keywords would have a lot of overlap, but I'm not set on this.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Luhmann wrote:Hmmm. I can imagine wanting to copy the Keywords (minus attachments), since most of the time the keywords would have a lot of overlap, but I'm not set on this.
I'm with the late system theorist here – deleting a spurios Keyword here and there seems to be less trouble than entering them anew each time. Might be nice…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then let it be so.

Jon
Sonny Software