Melle vs Nisus scanning functions?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Denise

Melle vs Nisus scanning functions?

Post by Denise »

I've spent the day playing with demo versions of Bookends, Nisus and Mellel (to find an alternative to Word X/Endnote 7 for my thesis).

My problem with Mellel is that, once I've scanned the document and generated a bibliography (without saving the temporary delimiters), if I add new references and want to generate a new bibliography, the Scan only seems to pick up the new references.

When I do the exact same thing in Nisus, using the same settings, the scan picks up all references (new and old) and includes them in the new bibliography.

All options in the Scan box are checked except for "Proofreading Scan" and I'm sending the bibliography to Disk.

This seems to really limit the usefulness of this feature, if you intend to make different versions of a document and want to generate new bibliographies for each.

I like the functionality of Mellel but this is a showstopper for me. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Denise
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Denise,

Bookends can rescan a NWE document, but it can't pick up the old citations (it can in a Word document, but that's because citations can be hidden in fields in Word). I'm guessing it just happened that the order didn't change after you added new citations.

This is really a Mellel, not Bookends, issue, so I suggest you contact RedleX if you have a request. But I can tell you that we and the Redlers have discussed this (and other issues) in detail, and at some point we'd like to come up with a solution (I know I'm being vague, but...).

Jon
Sonny Software
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks for the quick reply! It looks like this in on the list of to-do's for Mellel.

Since I'm trying to wean myself off Word, it seems that the work-around would be to always keep a version of the document that has not been scanned as a sort of template- make sense?

Cheers
Denise
Jon wrote:Hi Denise,

Bookends can rescan a NWE document, but it can't pick up the old citations (it can in a Word document, but that's because citations can be hidden in fields in Word). I'm guessing it just happened that the order didn't change after you added new citations.

This is really a Mellel, not Bookends, issue, so I suggest you contact RedleX if you have a request. But I can tell you that we and the Redlers have discussed this (and other issues) in detail, and at some point we'd like to come up with a solution (I know I'm being vague, but...).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Denise,

Yes, that's the solution for now...

Jon
Sonny Software