Alphabetize bug? Or is it me?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Danny Rosin

Alphabetize bug? Or is it me?

Post by Danny Rosin »

I'm trying Bookends 8, seriously considering a purchase.
While playing with Mellel and Bookends and trying to create an alphabetize bibliography, not only the sorting was wrong but it also mixed the order of the references in the text!
I left Mellel and tried to create a Bib in Bookends itself, using APA5 format with the Alphabetize button checked. Again- no luck (so it's not Mellel's fault). The order is certaily not by the abc.
The screen capture is self explanatory- but I'm not sure how to upload it here.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Danny,

It is a bug in the database engine. We are working on it and hope to have a new build uploaded in the next 24 hr (hopefully sooner). It was working throughout the beta cycle, but broke (unnoticed, I'm afraid) by other changes that were made prior to release. I'll post a note in this thread when it is fixed and uploaded. Again, soon, I hope.

Jon
Sonny Software
Danny Rosin

Many thanks.

Post by Danny Rosin »

I feel the Mellel spirit here, too.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Danny (and everyone else),

We've fixed the sorting problem, as well as a number of other issues that have arisen since the initial release.

A new build (same version number) was uploaded Saturday afternoon (EST). Please download it and see how it works for you. This will be the basis for the next numbered upgrade.

Jon
Sonny Software
Danny Rosin

Post by Danny Rosin »

Not there yet! the abc sorting is ok now, but it changes the reference order in the text, which is catastrophic- it assign the wrong number, so the references are mixed.
In my little experiment with 5 citations, the author names started with h, k, s, f, z. After sorting it became of course f, h, k, s, z, but the numbers in the text became 1, 3, 2, 4, 5 instead of 2, 3, 4, 1, 5.
I hope I'm clear enough, I can email the files or screenshots if necessary.
Danny.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Danny, I'm not completely sure I understand. You are scanning, I assume. What happens in the text to final citations depends on the format you are using. It sounds like you want the bib to be numbered and also alphabetized. If the format is set up properly, it will do that.

Please contact me directly and we'll work through this.

Thanks,

Jon
Sonny Software
support@sonnysoftware.com
Danny Rosin

Post by Danny Rosin »

It seems to be OK now, after the fix.
As I consider this a major bug (which can mix up the references)- I think the fix desires an updated version number.

Thanks for the quick response.
prop

Post by prop »

Yeah, I was also wondering about this. It seems to me that Jon has stated a couple of times he has updated the program and/or user guide since 8 was released. I checked the about box and there's no indication of 8.1 or 8.01, or something similar. How are we to know what version we're using? Is it possible to increment something each time you update it so the users can know when to update?

Do you make a change log? If so, is it public, or just for your own records? Thanks.