citation text styles

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Enkidu

citation text styles

Post by Enkidu »

Hi,

Is there any way to format additional text within citations - lets say I want it to italicize one word?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can create a custom citation format that will let you set styles for any field. And if you italicize one word in the reference (say, in the title) that will be carried through to the final citation (if it is a custom citation format).

Jon
Sonny Software
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

Right, but I'm not looking to format the regular citation. I mean the additional text that I can add by using \....\ - is there a way of italicizing one or two words between the backslashes, as a purely one-off thing? The reason I want this is to be able to editorialize within the citation brackets, something like this:

Ferguson {%ferguson} mistakenly interprets Johns as denying X {\see \ Johns\, p. 218 for proof that Johns does believe X}.

In order to put italics into this response, I have to use "i" within square brackets, and then "/i" to end it. Something similar within the additonal text is what I'm looking for. Or, better, if I could just simply type something and bookends would keep the formatting I give it.

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, I see. No, Bookends will keep the text, but not any styling you apply. You can apply it after scanning, of course, but not before.

Jon
Sonny Software