Idea for library holdings and status

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jpmckeown

Idea for library holdings and status

Post by jpmckeown »

I had tried recording Call/Shelf number (or not held) for a number of libraries but the limit on fields made it difficult. Also I want to record other things like Priority (what should I read next?), Status (do I have a photocopy, have I made notes from it, etc). My solution is based on the unique 5-digit ID that Bookends gives each item. I plan to use this a column in a spreadsheet and then I can have as many extra fields of data as i want. I can manually lookup item using the ID. Does this seem sensible, or can anyone think of a more integrated way?
best wishes,
john
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

One thought -- Bookends lets you color-code references, which I would think would be useful here. You can also create static groups that you can add to with Command key shortcuts very easily.

Jon
Sonny Software
jpmckeown

Go To Reference

Post by jpmckeown »

Thanks, yes that might go some way.
I notice there is a "Go To Ref hash" command
which seems to relate to the ref 1 of N
But it seems no "Go To ID hash" command

Is the sequential reference number stable,
if so I would use that instead, as there is
already a GoTo command for that

john
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The sequential number is stable as long as you don't delete references. There is no "Go to Unique ID #", but you can do a Find for a reference with a particular unique id.

Jon
Sonny Software
jpmckeown

colour-coding is good

Post by jpmckeown »

Using find to jump to a specific ID (fivedigit) is a bit cumbersome.

The more I think about it, colour-coding may deal nicely with many of my needs. Except the grid of which libraries (out of 5 that I visit) came up blank when I seached library catalogue for that item.

john
Jon
Site Admin

Re: colour-coding is good

Post by Jon »

jpmckeown wrote:Using find to jump to a specific ID (fivedigit) is a bit cumbersome.
No more cumbersome than "Go to Ref #". Bring up dialog, enter 5 digit number, press OK.

Jon
Sonny Software