copy move attachments - leave them where they are!

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
GertW

copy move attachments - leave them where they are!

Post by GertW »

Hi there,
I really appreciate the new feature of automatically finding PDFs on your hard drive (though it did not really work for me during first trials), but what I really do not like is that BE automatically copies the PDFs into a separate folder.
I have several GB of PDFs on my hard disk, sorted into alphabetic folders with individual PDFs all named similar (FirstAuthorLastName Year Journal.pdf), and all I want to do is simply attach those PDFs to the records in BE, and not move/copy/duplicate the whole collection in a separate folder.
would it be possible to implement some kind of preference setting, like "leave PDF where found" or "copy PDF into attachments folder"???

keep up the good work - best regards

Gert
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'll think about it. But realize that you can do Spotlight searches on pdfs in the default attachments folder, so you would lose this ability. Why not simply place the pdfs (in their subfolders) in the Bookends default attachments folder? Then Bookends wouldn't make a copy of them (because they are already there) when they were found?

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

BTW, in another post you mention that your pdfs are on a server. Bookends (that is, Spotlight) only searches the local hard drive. This is set to change in Leopard.

Jon
Sonny Software
GertW

Post by GertW »

Jon wrote: Why not simply place the pdfs (in their subfolders) in the Bookends default attachments folder? Then Bookends wouldn't make a copy of them (because they are already there) when they were found?
Thanks for your quick attention, Jon (as usual much appreciated).
I followed your suggestions and put all the subfolders into the bookends default attachments folder and tried again.
not much progress, as BE still copies the PDF with a new name. I will send you a screenshot in separate mail.
so an option "leave where found" PLUS "leave name as found" would be much appreciated.
best
Gert
GertW

Post by GertW »

Jon wrote:BTW, in another post you mention that your pdfs are on a server. Bookends (that is, Spotlight) only searches the local hard drive. This is set to change in Leopard.
yes. we have all PDFs on our lab server, but I also keep a synchronized copy of that folder on my hard disk. this one is the one I am trying to attach the PDFs to.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, let's pursue this off-forum.

Jon
Sonny Software