Urgent: Problem in defining Format Rules (Parsing)

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Titus

Urgent: Problem in defining Format Rules (Parsing)

Post by Titus »

Hello,

i have a big problem and couldn't solve this problem.
I have the following definition in the formats manager:
a (w)$:$ t. s. l: u d (j v).

The Citiation should look like this:

Author (User1): Title. Subtitle. City: Publisher Year (Ser.title Volume).

I thin the definition will match this. But in some cases i have books which don't have a ser.title or volume. In this cases the citiation should look like this.

Author (User1): Title. Subtitle. City: Publisher Year.

In my definition (the definition i mentioned at the begining) Bookends pass the information but the point at the end of the citiation is missing.

Additional i have Books which have a Volume but no Ser.Title. In this case the citiation should look like this:

Author (User1): Title. Subtitle. City: Publisher Year, Volume.

I don't know how to define the format definition, that the brackets will only be shown when both fields (ser.title and volume) are not empty, that the volume filed will be parsed in two different ways depending on the field ser.title and that the point is parsed always.

Could anybody can help me here please. It is very urgent. I have to finnish my study work hand have all my books in Bookends.

Thanks
Titus
ozean

Post by ozean »

Try the following:

To get the point in any case, put it in "force quote" characters: `

a (w)$:$ t. s. l: u d (j v)`.`

To be rid of any extra spaces when there is neither Series Title nor Volume you have to enter the following variant (using the "binding quote" character: ~ and the "break binding" character: | )

a (w)$:$ t. s. l: u d|~ (~j|~ ~v)`.`

I fear there is no solution to your third problem – as far as I understand the way these things work in Bookends, it is not possible to have a character respond to a variable that is not a neighbour (that is have the opening parenthesis respond to the v that follows _after_ the j).