BE erases Chinese characters (QIM input methodology)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
anya

BE erases Chinese characters (QIM input methodology)

Post by anya »

I have files that are primarily in English but have some Chinese characters in them. When I "scan document" with BE, some (around one third to one half) of these Chinese characters disappear; they are replaced by an underscore (_), and I have to go through and retype them. I'm using Word 2004 and QIM as my Chinese character input methodology. Anyone have any advice on how to keep my Chinese characters in place?
joewiz

Re: BE erases Chinese characters (QIM input methodology)

Post by joewiz »

anya wrote:I have files that are primarily in English but have some Chinese characters in them. When I "scan document" with BE, some (around one third to one half) of these Chinese characters disappear; they are replaced by an underscore (_), and I have to go through and retype them. I'm using Word 2004 and QIM as my Chinese character input methodology. Anyone have any advice on how to keep my Chinese characters in place?
QIM shouldn't be part of the problem; it's just an input method. Somehow in the interaction between BE and Word things are going wrong.

Do the Chinese characters (the ones that disappear and are replaced with underscores) belong to Bookends citations, or are they part of the text that doesn't include citations, or both?

Can you give steps that we can follow to reproduce your results? (i.e. step 1: Open a new MS word document, and type a certain Chinese character, step 2: scan, step 3: watch a specific character become garbled)
anya

Post by anya »

The Chinese characters that disappear are not part of Bookends data, they're just part of the text, usually given in parentheses.

I'm trying to reproduce the situation at a small scale by extracting a bunch of characters from one of the documents that this happened to and adding several random citations and then scanning, and it's leaving the Chinese characters intact. So now I'm wondering if it's some interaction between Word and particular citations. Sorry -- I'm completely puzzled by this, especially now that it turns out I can't reproduce it.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

OK - let us know if you find something reproducible.