Please bring back the slider control of relative reference #

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Shayne

Please bring back the slider control of relative reference #

Post by Shayne »

The only thing that I miss in BE 10 is the ability to scroll through references with the relative reference number and slider. Please bring this back. It was particularly useful when merging databases.

Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Shayne,

It never went away. Right-click on the reference window (not in a text field) and the slider popups up. To dismiss it, just move the mouse outside of the slider window's boundary.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Thanks Jon. The way you have done this is neat, but I would like to hear how others feels about its now limited utility. When merging databases from home and office, sometimes I only need to transfer the last few references. In doing so it is useful to see the relative reference number in both databases at the same time. This is now, I believe, impossible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The relative number of the reference is shown in the title bar of the reference window, e.g. Ref #234 of Database1.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

I guess I am more interested in the slider control and the ability to easily go back 20 references or so (I realise that I can use Go to Reference #). I will get used to BE 10, but still miss the old slider.

Cheers,
Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Everything you have asked for is still there: right-click to bring up the slider, look at the title bar to see the reference number (without the slider). It's just different from 9.x.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

One can no longer view the sliders of two databases simultaneously. It is the slider that tells you the total number of references (e.g., 126 of 1154).

Cheers,
Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The total number of reference is visible in the List View window (upper left hand corner).

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

The main doubt I had about this change is that novice users will not know that this is possible, because the UI for scrolling through the references is hidden – there is no particular visual or other clue that one can pop this up with a right click…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's true, but the slider is not a fundamental element of the app, nor does it provide a unique feature, it's just one more way of doing the same thing you can do with the mouse and the keyboard -- move from one reference to another in the reference window. Of course, it's documented in the manual (for what that's worth).

If you will recall, the most common request I received for years was to improve the interface, and removing the slider was part of that. I don't think most people would want it back in the middle of the reference window. I almost removed the feature completely, but decided it did no harm as a right-click option, and would be there for people who find it useful.

Jon
Sonny Software