A compliment and a request

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bluloo

A compliment and a request

Post by bluloo »

Hi Jon,

This update is great. Lots of bang for the buck. Well done. :)

A request, (if possible)

Can you bring some of the rounded look from the preferences window to the main database window?

The UI of the prefs look very finished/refined and modern with the two-tone and rounded design.

thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Thanks. By "main database window" do you mean the reference window? Or the list view? And if the former, do you mean to simply expand the tab panel so that there is no bordering window on the left and right (that's a look I played with during development)?

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

By "main database view" I mean reference window. The list view has the more finished look, similar to the prefs, IMO.

If I understand correctly, "expanding the tab panel" would give it a more "mail-like view" (one pixel divider?). Yes, that would also "modernize" the UI, IMO.

What I was referring to was the rounded border between the title bar and the lower portion of the preferences window (as well as the darker title bar and the lighter window below).

The bottom of the prefs window also has a thinner border than the top (which naturally draws one's eyes to the title bar at the top by making a subtle distinction).

Does that make more sense?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Yes, that's clearer. Note that the reference window and the preferences can't look the same. The latter has a toolbar and a grow box. But I might be able to get it the look a little closer...

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Is this more like what you were asking for?

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

At least it would be me who would appreciate this change. :D

(On a 12" iBook display every few pixels which can be saved are very fine.)
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Jon wrote:Hi,

Yes, that's clearer. Note that the reference window and the preferences can't look the same. The latter has a toolbar and a grow box. But I might be able to get it the look a little closer...

Jon
Sonny Software
While the post may have been clearer, re-reading it again, I meant changing the list view UI to look more like the prefs.

:oops:

I'm glad at least one of us "understood".
Sorry for more confusion.
Last edited by bluloo on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Jon wrote:Is this more like what you were asking for?

Jon
Sonny Software
Actually that looks quite nice as well. :)

Can the list view be "done" similar to that?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, absolutely not, it's a four pane window, quite unlike the others. There is no place (or need) for a tab panel there, and that's what gives the "rounded look" you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Ah, I see.

Again, sorry for the previous confusion.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's OK. I kind of like the slightly streamlined reference window better, so it wasn't wasted time. I think I'll include that in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software