DIN 1505

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
ozean

DIN 1505

Post by ozean »

Whew. After quite a few hours, I finally finished tweaking a style that should come pretty close to the current version of the official German citation standard, DIN 1505 Teil 2. I based the style on the pdf document that is available under http://www.bui.fh-hamburg.de/pers/klaus ... itverz.pdf

There are some caveats:
(a) Since the style relies on some quite peculiar fields, your setup might differ, especially if you did some tweaking to field definitions yourself.
(b) For this style, after each editor there should be the parentheses "(Hrsg.)" (without quotes; Hrsg meaning editor in German) – this is not possible to do with Bookends (correct me if I am wrong!)
(c) All surnames should be spelled with lower caps, whereas firstnames should be spelled normally

example for both cases:
(required result)
ATKINSON, J. Maxwell (Hrsg.) ; HERITAGE, John (Hrsg.): Structures of social action : Studies in conversation analysis. Cambridge/UK : Cambridge University Press, 1984. – ISBN 0521318629

(actual result)
ATKINSON, J. MAXWELL ; HERITAGE, JOHN (Hrsg.): Structures of social action : Studies in conversation analysis. Cambridge/UK : Cambridge University Press, 1984. – ISBN 0521318629

Two, more general, requests that came up I had while was fiddling around to make this style work in most cases:
(1) Sentence case does not work for this style, since the sentences are divided by " : "
(2) Regarding the great new post-processing features of Bookends (without them I would have been lost here), we don't have a replacement rule for the string " ," (space followed by a comma) like we have for the period. Could this be implemented or would this do harm to some other style?

I would be happy to get feedback about this style before handing it over to Jon for inclusion in the Bookends distribution… You can download it here:
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~frers/DIN_1505.zip
Jon
Site Admin

Re: DIN 1505

Post by Jon »

ozean wrote:(b) For this style, after each editor there should be the parentheses "(Hrsg.)" (without quotes; Hrsg meaning editor in German) – this is not possible to do with Bookends (correct me if I am wrong!)
I think you could by making a format Type in which "(Hrsg.)," was output as the "punctuation" between names. No?

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

ozean wrote: (2) Regarding the great new post-processing features of Bookends (without them I would have been lost here), we don't have a replacement rule for the string " ," (space followed by a comma) like we have for the period. Could this be implemented or would this do harm to some other style?
You want " ," replaced with ","? That sounds reasonable to me...

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon wrote:I think you could by making a format Type in which "(Hrsg.)," was output as the "punctuation" between names. No?
Good idea. That would at least work for edited volumes. However, if I have a book that has for example one author and two editors this work-around would not help anymore…

(required result)
HORKHEIMER, Max ; SCHMIDT, Alfred (Hrsg.) ; SCHMID NOERR, Gunzelin (Hrsg.): Schriften 1931-1936. Bd. 3 : Gesammelte Schriften. Frankfurt am Main : Fischer, 1988 (Fischer Wissenschaft 7377). – ISBN 3596273773

(actual result)
HORKHEIMER, MAX ; SCHMIDT, ALFRED ; SCHMID NOERR, GUNZELIN (Hrsg.): Schriften 1931-1936. Bd. 3 : Gesammelte Schriften. Frankfurt am Main : Fischer, 1988 (Fischer Wissenschaft 7377). – ISBN 3596273773

Jon wrote:You want " ," replaced with ","? That sounds reasonable to me...
excellent

I really want to reiterate how much the introduction of the "~", "|", and "*" functions plus the post-processing has improved the style formatting. Very flexible indeed – thanks a lot for that!
:D
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon, since there has been no contrary feedback, I think you can bundle the DIN 1505 style with 9.0.4.
I think you could by making a format Type in which "(Hrsg.)," was output as the "punctuation" between names. No?
I did not do this since this would also add the "(Hrsg.)" in other places where names are used (like translators). I think only having a single "(Hrsg.)" [editor] entry is less confusing than having many distributed all over the entries.

The other potential problems (except for the small caps) have been fixed in an incredibly short time span (as usual!) in the 9.0.4 beta. Congrats and thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for this submission, ozean. I'll include the DIN format in the next distribution.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

Am I too tired, or why can't I locate the DIN 1505 format in the formats manager?
ozean

Post by ozean »

It is in my standard distribution. Sorted alphabetically it appears in my formats manager as "DIN 1505" (without quotes)…
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

no, not in mine. And I don't remember ever having deleted any formats from the manager (or folder). Can anyone send it to me? Or solve the problem for me? Thanks...
ozean

Post by ozean »

sebheck wrote:Can anyone send it to me?
Sure, I can. Since private messages are disabled on this forum, I cannot ask you here for your e-mail. However, my homepage is linked here and there you can find my e-mail and then contact me. I'll send the format to you.

However, I have just rechecked. When I download Bookends from this website and then copy the Bookends _folder_ from its disk image into my app folder, I can see the file called "DIN 1505" in the formats folder inside of the Bookends folder. Therefore it really should be in your distribution too. Maybe you should redownload Bookends and replace your Bookends folder with the downloaded one?