alias based tracking of attachments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
taylan

alias based tracking of attachments

Post by taylan »

I am generally happy with the new version of Bookends, but one thing that I would really appreciate is not being forced to use Bookends' own attachment directory. Since Bookends is not a replacement for Finder, in my opinion the file structure for attachments should be determined by the user.

Also, this file structure should be dynamic. Currently moving an attachment to a different folder requires reattaching that file unless it is in the attachments folder, which I find way too tedious when dealing with hundreds of pdfs.

Is this something that can be implemented in future versions?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: alias based tracking of attachments

Post by Jon »

taylan wrote:I am generally happy with the new version of Bookends, but one thing that I would really appreciate is not being forced to use Bookends' own attachment directory. Since Bookends is not a replacement for Finder, in my opinion the file structure for attachments should be determined by the user.
Bookends forces nothing on you. The ability to organize attachments in one place is a feature you are free to ignore. Just uncheck the box in the dialog that offers to move the attachment for you. I would suggest that now that Bookends can use subfolders for attachments, the default attachment arrangement is flexible and convenient, and makes it easy to move attached files from one computer to another. But if you would rather manage the loction of your attachments yourself, you can.
Also, this file structure should be dynamic. Currently moving an attachment to a different folder requires reattaching that file unless it is in the attachments folder, which I find way too tedious when dealing with hundreds of pdfs.
That is not true. When you attach a file and do not have Bookends move it, Bookends creates an alias of the folder that file is in, and stores it in Preferences. When you try to open an attachment that is not in the default folder, Bookends searches through all the folders you have previously used for attachments to find it.

So in the case where you move an attached file to a different folder, as long as that folder has previously been used for an attachment, Bookends will locate it without you having to do anything. If you move it to a folder that has never been used, you will have to attach it again.

Jon
Sonny Software
taylan

Re: alias based tracking of attachments

Post by taylan »

My bad, after attaching bunch of articles I moved them around just to do it all over again. I should have tried just getting Bookends to recognize the folder by moving a single article instead.

Thanks for the tip and clarification! :)