Problem with word 2008

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Alex Cook

Problem with word 2008

Post by Alex Cook »

I'm having a major issue when scanning my word 2008 document. After running the scan document script the dialogue box appears correctly in Bookends and I press ok. after switching back to word, word hangs for a few seconds then when I view the document, the temporary citations have been removed but no bibliography has been created. Also half my document gets deleted !!

Any ideas what I can do ??

I've tried copying to a new document and I've tried exporting and then importing all my citations into a new bookends library but the same thing happens.

I have used the scan documents script both successfully on another document with another library and in this document with this library but with less references.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To those following, my advice to Alex via tech support was that Word 2008 has some odd issues with files created in WOrd 2004, and two tricks I've seen that may solve them are:

1. Open the original 2004 file and copy/paste it into an empty 2008 window.
2. Change the font from Cambria to something else.

It appears that in this case changing the font from Cambria fixed the scanning problem.

Jon
Sonny Software
ccg

Re: Problem with word 2008

Post by ccg »

I experienced a problem similar to what Alex described. In my case, Word 2008 never hung, but strange things would happen to the scanned version of the document. Sometimes references would get moved around and reformatted to a different style. Some references got omitted altogether. And most disturbing, sometimes several paragraphs would disappear.

I hadn't used Cambria, but I had used Calibri for headings. So I first tried to change the heading style sheet, but that didn't solve my problem.

Then I saved the document as an RTF and opened it in Mellel. I hoped simply to scan it in Mellel, but then I remembered Mellel and Word treat placeholder citations differently. So I exported the document to *.doc format and re-opened it in Word. I scanned the new version in Word and new, strange things happened. In particular, much of the text got converted to all caps with a double strikethrough.

Last, I changed all the fonts in Mellel to Palatino, exported the document to RTF, and opened it in Word. Happily, the scan of that document seems to have worked.

What's particularly annoying about the whole experience is that I wrote the article in Word rather than Mellel because my co-authors needed to use Word. So I thought I'd save myself the trouble of bouncing back and forth between programs. Ah, well.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Please download Bookends 10.2 again. There have been some silent updates that address a number of issues with Word 2008. These will be rolled into the next update, too, of course.

Jon
Sonny Software
ccg

Post by ccg »

Thanks -- will do.