JSTOR import problems

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Shayne

JSTOR import problems

Post by Shayne »

Hi,

When importing a JSTOR reference from the SRU record, it seems that the journal volume and issue numbers are not imported. This may have something to do with the fact that they are not displayed as part of the SRU record (I think). Is there a simple way to get this to import properly?

Another question:
How do I not import the month and day from a JSTOR record? Records give dates such as 1992-12-15; I wish only to import the year, deleting the other information.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Best,
Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Re: JSTOR import problems

Post by Jon »

What you see in the JSTOR record is what JSTOR provides. You can't import what isn't there.

You can't parse the import fields. Why do you want to remove the month and date? Bookends provides tools to use just the year for formatted output.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Jon wrote:What you see in the JSTOR record is what JSTOR provides. You can't import what isn't there.
I have written to JSTOR to ask why this is not available via SRU. I wanted to confirm with you/the forum that I was not doing something wrong and that it actually is the case that JSTOR does not provide this (as opposed to my user error).
Jon wrote:You can't parse the import fields. Why do you want to remove the month and date? Bookends provides tools to use just the year for formatted output.
Month and date are useless to me (perhaps useful to others, though). True, BE does allow me to output with year only. However, if I have 2 or more publications from the same author in the same year, which is quite common, then I need more than just the year (e.g., 2008a, 2008b, etc.). Year only output also suppresses this, I believe. Accordingly, I delete the irrelevant month and day data, and add letters where necessary, outputting without suppressing the "a", "b", etc.

For my purposes, I would prefer not to import the month and day, etc., rather than have to delete it. If a filter tweak could accomplish this, that would be great. If not, I will simply delete. No problems. Thanks for responding.

Cheers,
Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Shayne wrote:Month and date are useless to me (perhaps useful to others, though). True, BE does allow me to output with year only. However, if I have 2 or more publications from the same author in the same year, which is quite common, then I need more than just the year (e.g., 2008a, 2008b, etc.). Year only output also suppresses this, I believe. Accordingly, I delete the irrelevant month and day data, and add letters where necessary, outputting without suppressing the "a", "b", etc.
I see. I don't think year-only output interferes with the addition of "a", "b", etc -- please try this and see if it works for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Thanks, Jon.

The "Use year-only for date" preference under Bib Citation Options in the Format Manager does interfere with the addition of "a", "b", etc.

Cheers,
Shayne
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact me off-forum for tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software