A small request

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tom

Post by tom »

when I do an internet search I have not downloaded the hole ref (just author, year, title and source; maybe I'm wrong) but to import to BE I have to wait an extra time (what I thougth that is needed to get abstract etc.)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Internet Search downloads everything. It displays the information you see in the list, but you can see everything by clicking on the item and looking in the lower, display pane. This will include abstract (for PubMed), the price and comments (for Amazon), and MARC records (for LOC and most libraries).

When you import into BE, the data are parsed and assigned places in the database. No more downloading is done (unless you want to import the Amazon image into the database, in which case it is fetched again from Amazon).

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote: When you import into BE, the data are parsed and assigned places in the database.
that's why I like to do a pre-selection before importing...
OK. I give up here (in europe we have past midnigth). Just one thing I'm interested:
double-clicking on a ref in the internet search window brings me directly to the article internet page...clicking the @ in BE entry brings me to the corresponding PubMed site...the URL entry seems to change during importing?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I told you what to do -- make a temporary database. It is quick, stable, and convenient. There is no other solution.

Double-clicking works because Bookends does some fancy footwork in the background to figure out the article's page. And before you ask, no, there are no plans to import it, because it is not reliable.

The URL Bookends imports is the one PubMed provides, which is to the citation on the PubMed site, not the article. That URL is stable. If/when PubMed provides a URL to the article, we'll import that, too. Once you are on the PubMed site, you can click the link to the article, of course.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon,

thanks a lot for the fast and competent answers to even 'not that important' problems 8) (the sign for s'u'nnysoftware?)

bye
tom