Localizations in other languages

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
hombre

Localizations in other languages

Post by hombre »

Is it planned to localize Bookends in other languages (e.g. German)?

I know of other projects (like Omni apps or Mellel) that get localized by volounteers. I'm sure that there would be many helpung hands for Bookends too. As you cooperate with Mellel, you could perhaps ask their localizers to work on Bookends too.

It would be nice to see your great app to become more "international".
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi hombre,

Unfortuntely, it's not that easy. One has to plan this carefully from the beginning (and I did not). The good news is that some things are customizable by the user (field names, Types, words to keep in a certain case). But I'm afraid that most of the interface is not, and likely never will be.

Jon
Sonny Software
Eckius

Post by Eckius »

Personally, I have mixed feelings about localizations. Of course it's nice to see everything in your own language, but on the other hand: the User Guide of almost all applications is in English, the forums and mailing lists are in English, all users (and certainly the users of an application like Bookends) know English. That's why, leaving aside sentimental reasons (the 'green green grass of home feeling'), I don't quite see the benefits of localizations.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Eckius wrote: I don't quite see the benefits of localizations.
One simple reason: You'll sell more licences because you reach more participants on the market! More languages means more potential customers, like my parents e.g., who don't speak English.

If that's not enough: EndNote doesn't have a localized version either. This would make a difference, too.

But as it seems, there won't be a localized version, so we don't need to start a discussion on this, do we? :wink:
Eckius

Post by Eckius »

Well, I doubt that in the case of Bookends (or of 'academic' applications like Bookends) more licences will be sold with localized versions. Nowadays, if you do research, you have to know English: it's as simple as that. And Bookends is for researchers, not for people who e.g. just want to make a catalogue of their own books. For those needs, there are other applications; and there, yes, localizations could be useful.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Eckius wrote:Personally, I have mixed feelings about localizations. Of course it's nice to see everything in your own language, but on the other hand: the User Guide of almost all applications is in English, the forums and mailing lists are in English, all users (and certainly the users of an application like Bookends) know English. That's why, leaving aside sentimental reasons (the 'green green grass of home feeling'), I don't quite see the benefits of localizations.
That's not it. At least not for me. I don't care whether the app is in English or Latin or whatever. The point is, not every language uses pp. for 'pages' or Ed. for 'editor' (that would be Hrsg. in German, for example). So the real question for most ppl, I think, is customizability (and not understanding and far less any patriotic or other sentimentalities). Can I edit the format or some words on the fly, or do I have to manually go through a document and change every instance of e.g. 'Ed.' ? So how much 'localization' in terms of adaption to publications in different languages is possible in that way?
P.S. Yes, I'm rather new to Bookends but I already like it a lot. However, since I write articles etc. in different languages, the above is important to me.
I'd greatly appreciate some help with this.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Dave wrote:That's not it. At least not for me. I don't care whether the app is in English or Latin or whatever. The point is, not every language uses pp. for 'pages' or Ed. for 'editor' (that would be Hrsg. in German, for example). So the real question for most ppl, I think, is customizability (and not understanding and far less any patriotic or other sentimentalities). Can I edit the format or some words on the fly, or do I have to manually go through a document and change every instance of e.g. 'Ed.' ?
You can edit any format to use any language you like, of course. Please refer to the User Guide about creating/modifying formats.

Just enter "Hrsg." where it should be placed, before or after editors, in the format. In fact, for editors, there is even more flexibility. From the User Guide (on the section on formatting):

^^ This allows more flexibility than ++ for indicating what you want
output if there is one or more editors. If ^^ appears between dollar signs ($) or backquotes (`) and there is one editor, the text before ^^ will be used. If there are multiple editors, the text after ^^ will be used.

For example,

e $(Sole Editor)^^(All Editors)$

might be output as

Smith, JD (Sole Editor)

or

Smith, JD and Jones, WMN (All Editors)

Jon
Sonny Software
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jon wrote: You can edit any format to use any language you like, of course. Please refer to the User Guide about creating/modifying formats.

Jon
Sonny Software
Super. Thanks a lot for your reply. My money is on its way.

-David