Journal name edit & automatic download from U library

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
greenmonkeyblue

Journal name edit & automatic download from U library

Post by greenmonkeyblue »

Two quick questions for the wiser ones out there:

1. How may I edit the automatic journal-completion on Bookends. I want "Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy" to appear, but the first automatic-completion option that appears is "Journal of Adolescent%26Adult Literacy" or something like that. Also, how my I make sure that the all JAAL citations are correct...global change?

2. How may I configure Bookends to automatically accept downloads from the University of Minnesota Library? When I select SAVE for a reference, I see pull-down menus, two of them. The first offers options of "Standard," "MARC21," and "Citation Manager." The second offers options of "UTF-8," "ISO 8859-1," or "ASCII." Which will I select in order to get the right file type on my desktop to import into Bookends?

Thanks!

Brad
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Journal name edit & automatic download from U library

Post by Jon »

Hi,

It sounds like you have imported a journal name that has an HTML-encoded character in it instead of a space. Find it in your database, correct the journal name (or just reenter it by hand), then open the Term List window, set the popup menu to Journal, and press the Delete key. Bookends will offer to rebuild the Term Lists -- do it.

As for export from your university library, I'd export as Citation Manager. This will probably be in RIS format, which Bookends imports (select the RIS filter). As for encoding, it doesn't matter a lot, but you can chose UTF-8 and in Bookends set File -> Import Text Encoding to UTF-8. These settings affect accented and non-Roman characters only.

Jon
Sonny Software
greenmonkeyblue

Re: Journal name edit & automatic download from U library

Post by greenmonkeyblue »

Many thanks for quick and helpful reply!