Database Engine Error

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
chadgr

Database Engine Error

Post by chadgr »

I've been using Bookends for a couple months and really enjoying how much easier it's made my work citing and keeping track of sources. I bounce between my desktop and laptop, copying a folder with my Mellel file and Bookends file on my home network between the two computers. This morning, when I went to open the Bookends database I got this warning "Database Engine Error: Database version is 576 but the current version is 560." Any ideas of what I did wrong?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Sounds like some internal info got scrambled. Please Repair the database and see if that fixes it.

Jon
Sonny Software
chadgr

Post by chadgr »

Thanks for your prompt response. I tried to repair and I got a "Nil Object Error" message. The version on my laptop works fine, it's just the desktop installation of Bookends that doesn't like this database.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Are they the same version (e.g. 9.0.7)? If they are, please contact us directly for tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
chadgr

Post by chadgr »

Jon,

I should have thought of that. The laptop had 9.0.7 and the desktop 9.0.6. I'll remember that next time I upgrade.

Thanks for your quick help sorting this out.

Chad
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's it then. Normally, there is no problem going back and forth with point upgrades. But in the case of 9.0.7, there was a change in the internal database structure that makes going back to 9.0.6 or earlier impossible (for others reading this, there is a warning to this effect that comes up before the conversion is made).

Jon
Sonny Software