2ndary order and reference footnotes, different font sizes

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dgruss

2ndary order and reference footnotes, different font sizes

Post by dgruss »

Hi Jon,

two more questions arose.

For an article I need to write, I use only footnotes. The Journal requires me to cite an author, when cited for the second time, as :

"Author, see footnote # of first reference"

I couldn't work out a way to do this with Bookends. Is there a possibility? (I'd much rather handle this problem with Bookends instead of Word)

My second question also regards the formating. If I use the $$ signs to introduce any word lets $in$ for referring to a Book of which I have quoted a chapter that word will not have the same font size after a scan. (i.e. If I define all footnotes as p. 10 but have a p. 12 size in Bookends the $in$ will be output in Word as p. 12 and not as p. 10).
The manual says something about "parsing" - I think - so is there a way to get the same font size also for $$ insertions?

Thanx once again in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it!
best regards
daniel
Jon
Site Admin

Re: 2ndary order and reference footnotes, different font siz

Post by Jon »

Hi Daniel,
dgruss wrote:For an article I need to write, I use only footnotes. The Journal requires me to cite an author, when cited for the second time, as :

"Author, see footnote # of first reference"

I couldn't work out a way to do this with Bookends. Is there a possibility?
You could come close, but not make it perfect. You can use the secondary order field in the format to output the author only, and set the format to use custom citations. The secondary order might look something like this:

a, `see footnote ` #

The # symbol will output the number of the reference in the database. You'd have to go back and edit those so they referred to the right footnote (or order you database so that the references were in the order cited).

My second question also regards the formating. If I use the $$ signs to introduce any word lets $in$ for referring to a Book of which I have quoted a chapter that word will not have the same font size after a scan. (i.e. If I define all footnotes as p. 10 but have a p. 12 size in Bookends the $in$ will be output in Word as p. 12 and not as p. 10).
The manual says something about "parsing" - I think - so is there a way to get the same font size also for $$ insertions?
Make sure the font size in the *order field* of the format is the same as the default font size for references (select the text in the order field and set it yourself). If you do this I think the quoted text will change to the default bibliography size when you create a bib.

Jon
Sonny Software
dgruss

Post by dgruss »

Hi Jon,

thanx for your help. The idea with the 2nd citation is a very good one and it works fine.

I also managed to work out the font size problem according to your hints. Thanx!

best regards
daniel
dgruss

Post by dgruss »

as a follow up in case anybody else needs to link a 2nd citation to the first citation in footnotes
(i.e. 2nd citation "see Author, at note x"):

with a finished article I entered the # of the first citation of an author in a user specified field. that way - once the article is finished, it is less of a hassle because one does not have to change fottnotes manually but Bookends takes care of it.