Smart Groups lost

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
hrashid

Smart Groups lost

Post by hrashid »

Greetings,

I've run into an interesting problem. I had to rebuild my database a few weeks ago, and in the process all my static groups and smart groups were lost, i.e. they weren't recreated in the rebuilt database as they had been in the past. Since I only had a few, I wasn't too bothered by it.

However, I just tried re-create a smart group, "group x," which was the same name I had given the old smart group, and Bookends came up with a message that the smart group already exists and I needed to choose a new name. Now I'm a little confused. I understand if the groups were lost in the rebuild, but shouldn't the name be released? Is it possible my old groups are still present and just hiding? Or is this a sign that there is something more fundamentally wrong with my database?

I tried rebuilding it again (keep user settings) and I have the same issue. If I do a straight rebuild I have no problems using the name "group x," but I lose my existing groups again.At this point I have enough groups that I would prefer not to lose them this time.

Regards,
Hussein
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Yes, it sounds like the groups table is bad, so the groups are indeed "hiding". There was one bug with group folders that was fixed in a silent update that could trigger this. You can download Bookends again, since it has that fix. I would suggest you do a rebuild *without* keeping user data, which will create a fresh and empty groups table to build on.

BTW, if you can start with a fresh database and reproduce a way to corrupt the groups table I would be very interested to hear how.

Jon
Sonny Software
hrashid

still Lost

Post by hrashid »

Thanks Jon. I will definitely d/l the latest Bookends. I wish I could help with the corruption problem, but I honestly don't know what I did differently with this rebuild than I have with any of my others.

In the mean time I'll think of a more creative name for my smart group than "group x" since I don't want to lose my other groups. I'm assuming this won't cause a problem, but please advise if you think it's a bad idea.

Regards,
Hussein
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I really would start with a clean slate if I were you (rebuild without saving user info). If you want, you can zip and send me your database and I'll see if I can delete just the bad groups. But even then, I'd rather you started fresh with the latest Bookends build.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nestor50

Post by Nestor50 »

Jon wrote:Hi,

I really would start with a clean slate if I were you (rebuild without saving user info). If you want, you can zip and send me your database and I'll see if I can delete just the bad groups. But even then, I'd rather you started fresh with the latest Bookends build.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi Jon,
ran in the same problem as Hrashid last night: a number of folders and smart groups desappeared. Rebuilding (with user's settings) caused the same problem as above: can't make smart group with the same name...I'll send you my db to see if you can understand what happened. A question: for practical reasons I use just ONE database that quite big (1600 entries, 7 mb) with a number of smart groups and folders (about 30 smart groups and the number is increasing...), can this great number of data and groups cause problems (as the one above or others?
thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

No, the size of the db is not an issue (I use a db with >10,000 references all the time). The issue here is an obscure bug that I haven't been able to reproduce. If you can make it happen, starting with a fresh db, please let me know how.

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Nestor50, just wondering with which version of BE this is happening?

I have had this problem as well several months ago, did a complete rebuild and recreated all groups., never had a problem since so i assume the update Jon refers to has fixed something.

Gerben