Auto-rename attached .pdf files in version 10

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kga1978

Auto-rename attached .pdf files in version 10

Post by kga1978 »

I like the things that I see in version 10.... I especially like the new feature where you can decide how to rename your attached files, rather than just giving them 'author' names. I am now renaming all newly attached files according to 'MLA'. Actually I like this feature so much, that I would like to rename ALL my attachments - new and old. So the question is simply this (I know it is a bit far-fetched) - but would it be possible for BE - or a script - to rename all my already attached pdf-files according to, say, MLA?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I'm sorry, but Bookends 10 doesn't have the capability to rename existing attachments.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

I was hoping for this too.
Jon, is there any way you can think of to at least assist the manual process of this? I was thinking that if there was a way to rename the attached file, perhaps from the contextual menu in the display pane, then us users could hit the copy formatted shortcut and then paste the new file name.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, you can always do a Copy Formatted with a format that is the same you use to name pdfs, then paste the name, which is of course in the clipboard, into the file name in the Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software
ccg

Post by ccg »

On a related note, when I ask Bookends to "Find & Attach Local PDF," is it possible to rename attachments? I have a large number of PDFs on my hard drive from pre-Bookends days that I'd like to attach. When I do so, I'd like to rename the attachments in the same way that I can if I attach them manually using the Attachments Inspector or drag and drop, but the default action with "Find & Attach Local PDF" leaves the old name.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

That was something I had listed to look into for 10.0, but it didn't make the cut. I think the only way to do it, if it were done, would be to have Bookends do it automatically (not stop and ask for each one it found). This would require a new Preferences option, "rename pdfs found with local search" (or something like that).

Jon
Sonny Software
Waystone

Post by Waystone »

Quick addition to this general idea...

... is there a way to set the default to /not/ change the attachment name? While BE 10 holds the setting once I've unchecked it so long as the program remains open, I have to re-uncheck it each time I open the program.

(Alternatively, is there a way for me to specify my own attachment name format? I use <Lastname Lastname Lastname Year> or <Lastname et al Year>, no first names or initials in the mix.)

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends should remember between launches. Try removing Bookends 9 and Bookends 10 Preferences (if you upgraded) and launching again. Does it remember now between launches.

Yes, you can tell Bookends to use a format to rename attachments. That was a new feature in Bookends 10. It's in Preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software
Waystone

Post by Waystone »

I suppose I should trash the Bookends 7 stuff while I'm in there... :D

But, no - after a removal of preferences and full computer restart, it's still not remembering between launches.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see now. Yes, failure to remember the renaming option between launches was an unintended consequence of allowing you to rename attachments without moving them. I'll have to have Bookends remember the setting between launches for the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
Waystone

Post by Waystone »

Awesome. In the meantime, I'll use the interim to force myself to actually explore the flexibility of the auto-renaming. I'm one of those people who gets so comfortable in my old habits that I have to get dragged into trying out new ones... :)