Possible to have a smart folder for recently imported items?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Luhmann

Possible to have a smart folder for recently imported items?

Post by Luhmann »

I love that Bookends can now sort by the date items were added to the library. This is a major improvement for my workflow. One thing that would make it even better is if I could have iPhoto style smart-groups for the last import or the last 6 imports, or all items imported in the last X number of days, etc. I often research a given topic in bursts and being able to see all those recent imports without having to "mark" them would be a great help.

I suspect it may be possible already using SQL, but I'm not sure how, so I'm asking in case anyone has already figured this out for me!

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I'd have to think about this for a bit. But there is another option that is almost as good. You can create a smart sql group that shows the last X references added. There's an example of this in the user guide. This sql search, for example, will return the last 15 added references:

id > (select max(id) - 15 from thereferences)

Jon
Sonny Software
Luhmann

Post by Luhmann »

Thanks Jon. I didn't know about that, but there is a reason to use dates instead of number of references: when working on a project it is uncertain how many references I will add. Some days it might be close to 50, and other days it might just be a couple. However, all the references I add on a given day tend to be related to whatever project I'm working on.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I know. The issue is obtaining the current date and time with SQL. That's what I'll have to look into...

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In Bookends 10.1.4 and later you can search for recently edited references. This is from the release notes:

In the SQL/Regex search box enter the following

dateModified > datediff( now(), '01/01/1904 00:00:00', 'second' ) - (X * 24 * 60 * 60)

where X is the number of days prior to the present you want to retrieve. For example,

dateModified > datediff( now(), '01/01/1904 00:00:00', 'second' ) - (7 * 24 * 60 * 60)

will find all references edited in the last week. This includes references entered manually, as well, but not references added to the database by importing and never edited. This can be saved as an SQL smart search.

Jon
Sonny Software