Can 'Saved Searches' be stored in a Custom folder?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
prop

Can 'Saved Searches' be stored in a Custom folder?

Post by prop »

Jon,

I have contacted you before about a PDF not attaching to a reference without crashing. You recommended I rebuild the database, which worked the last time this occurred. However, today I tried all three options to rebuild the database, and the PDF *still* would not attach, therefore I tried the last thing you suggested last time, which was to trash the preferences. The problem is that I lost all of my Saved Searches when I did this.

Is there any way you can make these saved searches a file that can go into a Custom Searches folder? That way, Bookends can poll this folder on startup and users won't have to lose valuable search strategies every time they have to rebuild the database.

More generally, any idea what the problem might be with the file attachment crash? When it happens, it is very annoying. I don't feel I should have to rebuild the database often (or at all!). Why can't Valentina run without having to have its database reindexed or rebuilt every once in a while? Are all dbs like this? Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi prop,

Sorry about the Preferences issue, but please remember that Valentina 2 is very new. It is actively being developed, and one of the very good points is that the developer is willing to work closely with us to find and fix problems. When Bookends 7 was released using Valentina 1 there were "growing pains" as well, but within a few months it became extremely stable. It is annoying that these things arise (please believe me when I say it pains me as well), but I we're working to find and fix al these issues.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

prop,

I may have written too hastily. Upon reflection, we shouldn't assume the Preferences file is bad. It just may be something else that is the problem (and that could happen for a variety of reasons). And if it is the latter, I have an idea of how to solve this issue.

If you still have it, please send me the Preferences file that caused the problem. If you have trashed it, please keep in mind that I'd like to get my hands on such a thing, and if you or anyone else can provide it to me I can look into this more deeply.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To those interested in this thread...

prop send me the "bad" Preferences file. It turned out to be fine. The crashes he experienced was due to bad aliases, which were not being guarded against.

Bad aliases are now automatically removed from Preferences. This fix should resolve this source of crashes when attaching, and will be included in 8.0.3.

Jon
Sonny Software