importing references by drag and drop

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tom

importing references by drag and drop

Post by tom »

Hi Jon, hi list,

I downloaded a citation from Nature Struc in RIS format (with the extention .ris). When I droped the file to BE, it wasn't recognized as a new citation and BE wanted to attach it to an existing ref. The workaround was to rename the file with the extension .txt. Now my question: How does BE decide to attach or open a file? Or is it OSX that makes the decision?

tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Tom,

Bookends looks for certain things to indicate that the file is of type TEXT. Preferably, it will be in the metadata. But in the Internet/OS X age, often that is missing. Bookends then looks for .txt., .bib., .cgi, and a few other possible extensions. If the extension is one of these, Bookends will offer to import. If it is not, it will offer to attach.

I have now added .ris to the list of text file endings.

While you wait for 8.0.4 with this, just use this handy feature -- if you drop with the Shift key held down, Bookends will consider the file to be of type TEXT, regardless of its real type, and offer to import it. Of course, be sure the file is text, or Bookends will try to import garbage.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

thanks Jon, works fine :D