Difficulty defining Cerebral Cortex citation format

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
dylanmuir

Difficulty defining Cerebral Cortex citation format

Post by dylanmuir »

Hi,

I'm having trouble defining a citation / bibliography format for the journal Cerebral Cortex. Here's their description:
Cerebral Cortex follows the name-year citation style from Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers (7th ed.) for style.

References should be cited in the text as "Experiments by Author (Author 1989) have demonstrated..." or "...as reported earlier (Author and Author 1985; Author 1985, 1986a, 1986b; Author et al. 1986)" and should be listed chronologically when multiple citations are grouped. In the list of references, works cited should be ordered alphabetically according to first author surname and chronologically where several papers by the same author are cited.
Looks pretty much like author date, but I need to make it do "et al" after the first author, when more than two authors are present on a reference. The bibliography, however, should list all authors. To accomplish that combination, I'm using a custom citation format, which cuts off the author list with "et al". The main format doesn't abbreviate the author list.

Now the problem is, grouped citations should be sorted by year. Apparently that isn't possible using a custom citation format, only with "author date" citations.

Is there a way I can get this to work, or should I publish in another journal? ;)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dylan
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty defining Cerebral Cortex citation format

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Sorting by date in custom citations groups may be implemented at some point. But you can do this yourself without much difficulty -- insert (or rearrange) the temp citations in groups by date yourself, and in the format tell Bookends to leave them as entered.

Jon
Sonny Software