stability of BE 8.0.4

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
tom

stability of BE 8.0.4

Post by tom »

Hi Jon, Hi list,

Since I've upgraded from BE 8.0.3 to 8.0.4 I have much more crashes. I can't anymore reindex or rebuild my database (about 2000 refs). I can do this with version 8.0.3 (that I kept fortunately) without any problems. Has anybody seen the same problems?

tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi tom,

So far we've had no reports of any problems with databases created in 8.0.4. The few problems we've had were traceable to problems inheirated from databases made with earlier versions (8.0.2 or earlier).

Please stuff and send me your database and I'll take a look at it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Eckius

Post by Eckius »

I have a similar question. In the description of version 8.0.3., I read:

Fixed: a rare case when, under a certain set of certain circumstances, deleting a reference could result in the loss of data from some or all fields in other references.

In the description of version 8.0.4, however, I read something quite similar:

Fixed: deleting many references at once could cause index corruption or crashes.

So it looks like the fix of 8.0.3 was not a real or at least not a complete fix, and that this fix had to be 'refixed'.

Can we be sure now that this fix is really fixed, and that we can delete as many references as we wish, without deleting information we don't wish to delete? I was one of the victims of the bug in 8.0.2: a far from pleasant experience.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Ekius,

Although they both involved deleting records, these were very different bugs. The one fixed in 8.0.3 was the "blank fields" problem, which could occur after deleting one or more references, but did not appear until the db was closed and reopened. We have had no more reports of this from anyone using 8.0.3, so I do believe it was closed.

The bug referred to in the release for 8.0.4 could occur when deleting many references at once (how many is many? I had one example with as few as 20, but others that only appeared after hundreds-thousands were deleted at once). This could cause a crash. Again, so far no one who made a database in 8.0.4 has reported this (we had one or two reports with dbs made with earlier versions and opened in 8.0.4, but that was residual...rebuilding the databases in 8.0.4 solved it).

So, each fix was independent, and so far it looks like each is working well. It would be foolish to claim that there can't be more problems, but I can say that as of 8.0.4 I have not come across any issues with the database engine that result in the loss of data.

If you have databases created with older versions, you can rebuild them with 8.0.4 if you are especially concerned. Of course, as always, good backups are your best protection agains any unanticipated problems...

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I should add that in Tom's case, which started this thread, opening and rebuilding the database in 8.0.3 fixed the problem, and he was able to migrate it to 8.0.4.
Eckius

Post by Eckius »

Thanks, Jon!