Where does the extra data go when importing?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
revans

Where does the extra data go when importing?

Post by revans »

I just bought Bookends after fighting with EndNote for the last couple of years and have some newbie questions.

1. I imported an EndNote library into Bookends using XML and it worked pretty good, except for some reason the book titles in the Book Chapter reference type got dropped into the Series title field. But that was easy to fix after the fact. But my real question is, what happens to the data that is not imported? For example, my EndNote library included call numbers, but they are not part of the Bookends records. Is it luking someplace in the record or is it lost?

2. Related to the first question, is there a "call number" field that I have missed, or do people generally rename a field or use the User fields to do the same thing?

Thanks,

-RE.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Which EN field held the call numbers in the XML export?

As for call numbers in Bookends, I'll let others tell you what they use. I would suggest adding it to Notes, if it's not too important, but if you really need it as a separate bit of data you will have to assign one of the user fields to it (you can use User1 if you don't use BibTeX).

Jon
Sonny Software
revans

Call numbers in EndNote

Post by revans »

Below is a sample record from my EndNote XML export.

The call number is enclosed with the <call-num> tag. I've used EndNote for so long that I don't remember if this is a standard field or is I added it. I think it's standard.

As for the other problem I had importing to Bookends -- book title info was put in series title field for all references that were of the type book chapter -- I see the book title is enclosed with the <secondary-title> tag. In EndNote, the series title becomes the tertiary title in the reference type Book Section.

Hope this helps,

-RE.

===== Sample record =====

<record><database name="Omni-8.enl" path="/Users/revans/Documents/EndNote 8/Omni-8.enl">Omni-8.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="8.0">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>823</rec-number><ref-type name="Book Section">5</ref-type><contributors><authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Alpers, Svetlana</style></author></authors><secondary-authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Woodward, David</style></author></secondary-authors></contributors><titles><title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">The Mapping Impulse in Dutch Art</style></title><secondary-title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Art and Cartography: Six Historical Essays</style></secondary-title></titles><pages><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">51-96</style></pages><keywords><keyword><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Cartography and art</style></keyword><keyword><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Art history -- Netherlands</style></keyword></keywords><dates><year><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">1987</style></year></dates><pub-location><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Chicago</style></pub-location><publisher><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">U of Chicago Press</style></publisher><isbn><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">0-226-90722-8</style></isbn><call-num><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">GA108.A78</style></call-num><label><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">photocopy</style></label><urls></urls></record>
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Call numbers in EndNote

Post by Jon »

revans wrote:The call number is enclosed with the <call-num> tag. I've used EndNote for so long that I don't remember if this is a standard field or is I added it. I think it's standard.
I see. That was inadvertently left out. I'll fix that, and have it imported to Notes

Jon
Sonny Software
revans

Wow

Post by revans »

Wow, you mean you'll fix it? All the Thomson-ISI people ever said to me was that I should delete the preferences and try again! Or, they confirmed it was a bug and then never issued a patch. Sorry, I'm just a little bitter about buying a couple of versions of EndNote over the last five years and having each version be more bug filled than the previous one.

Thanks for the help,

-RE.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Yes, er, well, I already fixed it. Email me directly (support@sonnysoftware.com) and I'll send it to you if you want it now (about a 4.5 MB attachment).

Jon
Sonny Software
GertW

Re: Wow

Post by GertW »

revans wrote:Wow, you mean you'll fix it? All the Thomson-ISI people ever said to me was that I should delete the preferences and try again! Or, they confirmed it was a bug and then never issued a patch. Sorry, I'm just a little bitter about buying a couple of versions of EndNote over the last five years and having each version be more bug filled than the previous one.
Yeah - I can only underpin your statement about the ISI people and the never ending Endnote more-bugs-per-upgrade story - that's why I happily switched to BE recently too - and Jon is VERY good in attending to various (and sometimes minor) issues!
best

Gert