spaces in page ranges

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
ozean

spaces in page ranges

Post by ozean »

I am currently creating a format for Environment and Planning. This format calls for spaces in page ranges.

So they want output that looks like this:

515 – 531

If I understand the restrictions of Bookends correctly, I can only output this:

515–531

Or am I wrong here?

(A good thing is that Bookends supports en-dashes, which the format also calls for.)
Jon
Site Admin

Re: spaces in page ranges

Post by Jon »

Right, there is no automatic option "put spaces around dash". But I believe that you can add the spaces in the references themselves and Bookends will leave them. It's not ideal, but you can use Global Change to Find/Replace (in the references you cite)

'-'

with ' - '

Make your bib, then Global Change back

' - '

to

'-'

As always, when doing batch operations on your data I'd make a backup copy first, in case I didn't like the result.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Re: spaces in page ranges

Post by ozean »

Thanks for the info!

I guess I will rather do the find&replace in Mellel, that way I only have to do the operation once before I submit and meanwhile the output for other texts that I am working on will remain unaffected.

(In Mellel, I can restrict the find&replace to the selection, i.e. the Bibliography, and I can use a search pattern that looks for digits surrounding the en-dash. This should keep me from accidentally adding spaces around en-dashes/hyphens that are part of a reference’s title.)