Importing RIS

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Hallgrimur

Importing RIS

Post by Hallgrimur »

I imported a large file from Reference Manager, in RIS format. The Volume field import resulted in the issue being appended to the volume (e.g. volume 25 issue 4 would become 425, etc). Also a lot of other inappropriate data was imported into the volume field, mostly from the keywords field. What have I done wrong - and is there a way to fix it?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Sounds like an old filter. To fix the issue problem, just edit the filter so that IS goes into Issue (this was done in the version on our site a while ago). As for the other problem, by inspecting the filter and the text you are trying to import you should be able to easily see what is causing the problem and fix it. If you can't, please send the file you are importing to me and I'll take a look.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hallgrimur

RIS import

Post by Hallgrimur »

Jon, I have sent you the file.

There are other issues; in the author field, how does one make sure that names such as van Kooten,C. do not become van, Kooten,C. etc?

I the unwanted data that is imported into the volume field is usually data of types that are not defined in the Bookends filter - LA, PT, etc.
hallgrimur
Jon
Site Admin

Re: RIS import

Post by Jon »

Hallgrimur wrote:Jon, I have sent you the file.
I haven't received anything from you yet.
There are other issues; in the author field, how does one make sure that names such as van Kooten,C. do not become van, Kooten,C. etc?
If the first names are given as initials, turn on "Smart" author parsing.
I the unwanted data that is imported into the volume field is usually data of types that are not defined in the Bookends filter - LA, PT, etc.
hallgrimur
Please contact me directly to discuss tech support issues like this -- it's a lot easier.

Jon
Sonny Software