Feature Request: Text Clipping

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
daiyi

Feature Request: Text Clipping

Post by daiyi »

After cutting and pasting some 20 or so journal articles from an HTML page, I thought of a possible feature addition that would make BE even better: a text clipping option that once imported onto a clipboard could be easily divided into different fields based on author, title, journal title, etc.

MacGourmet has such a function for recipe sites that do not work with its services-based import feature. Once the text clipping is in a new entry, users can then select different lines or sections and designate them as "recipe name," "ingredients," or "directions." Then they are saved in the normal MG format as imported recipes.

I'm not sure how much work this would be to add to Bookends, but it would be quite useful, I believe, as it is in MacGourmet.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Text Clipping

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the suggestion. Would your web site be amenable to an import filter? If the references are always the same, it might be possible to import it with a filter that made use of Source parsing (and you can import from the clipboard, of course).

Jon
Sonny Software
daiyi

Re: Feature Request: Text Clipping

Post by daiyi »

You're welcome. Thanks for the prompt reply, and happy Memorial Day.

I checked the code on the site, and an import filter may work. The main identifying tag would be <article title>; author coming before, Volume, issue, page number after. But the filter would only work for that particular site. Each web page also contains many bibliographic entries when in browsing mode by category. So the filter would have to be applied to a highlighted entry.

I suggested the other option because it works so well in MacGourmet for all sites. One still has to select text and designate which field it is, but it's still faster and more convenient than cutting and pasting several times between a web page and application database.

Thanks for considering this.