Speed issues after upgrading to Tiger 10.4

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Eddie

Speed issues after upgrading to Tiger 10.4

Post by Eddie »

Hi,

This is really minor, but I have noticed that Bookends 8.0.4 is not as responsive now. In particular, when typing text in the "Volume" field Bookends is very slow. Are there any settings I can change to optimize speed? Maybe the internal cache?

Also, under the Help menu Bookends tells me it can not find the User Guide, which I have in the Bookends Folder. This one is more minor :)

Thanks for the help.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Actually, I've found Bookends to be, if anything, more responsive in Tiger than in Panther. Yes, try increasing database cache if this is not the case for you.

And Bookends will recognize the User Guide in the same folder as Bookends. There was a short time where the User Guide name was incorrect (no spaces). Make sure it is spelled

Bookends User Guide.pdf

This works for me...

Jon
Sonny Software
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Thanks. My User Guide had no spaces. I'll download the new one.

One last question. Is there a way to look at the references by the date they were entered into Bookends?

Sometimes it's easier for me to remember an article that I read one or two days ago, or that was one of the first ones I included, so having the ability to sort by entered date would be useful to me. Is this possible?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks. My User Guide had no spaces. I'll download the new one.
Quicker to type in the spaces yourself...
One last question. Is there a way to look at the references by the date they were entered into Bookends?

Sometimes it's easier for me to remember an article that I read one or two days ago, or that was one of the first ones I included, so having the ability to sort by entered date would be useful to me. Is this possible?
References are added to the end (i.e. after the highest sequential reference number). So if you open a reference window, you can use the various navigation tools (stepper control, slider, menus, etc.) to move to specific locations in the database. In Bookends 8.0.5, the "Go to First/Last" reference will also be enabled when the List View is in front.

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

I was not sure whether there were other changes, so I downloaded the guide. Now I know better :)
References are added to the end (i.e. after the highest sequential reference number). So if you open a reference window, you can use the various navigation tools (stepper control, slider, menus, etc.) to move to specific locations in the database. In Bookends 8.0.5, the "Go to First/Last" reference will also be enabled when the List View is in front.
I've been using that method so far (using the slider and stepper control), but sometimes when dealing with 20 or more articles, the ability to quickly view the references by sorting them by date added while in List View seems like a more convenient approach (at least for me :) ).

Thanks for the replies Jon, and I look forward to 8.0.5.