Endnote import & journal issue

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
frvs

Endnote import & journal issue

Post by frvs »

Good morning,

I'm still experimenting with Bookends (increasingly pleased as my exploration proceeds), and have two more questions.

1) Although some hints lead me to believe there must be a way to include the issue (besides the volume) in a journal citation, I can't find how (and I don't understand the user's manual indication that the issue field is a "metafield," either).

2) When I import records from Endnote, it happens that some fields end up in the wrong places. Question: if I change a field name in Bookends to make it match the name of an Endnote field (including in the case of user-defined fields), will this ensure smooth EN-->BE fields transfer?

Thanks in advance!
Francisco
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Endnote import & journal issue

Post by Jon »

frvs wrote:1) Although some hints lead me to believe there must be a way to include the issue (besides the volume) in a journal citation, I can't find how (and I don't understand the user's manual indication that the issue field is a "metafield," either).
It's a metafield because it is a subset of the Volume field. Enter the issue # in parentheses in the Volume field:

34(12)

and Bookends will find and use it, if you want.

In the format, turn on "Include issue # with volume", if you want it ouput this way, or leave that off and use the v and i (volume and issue characters) if you want them output some other way.
2) When I import records from Endnote, it happens that some fields end up in the wrong places. Question: if I change a field name in Bookends to make it match the name of an Endnote field (including in the case of user-defined fields), will this ensure smooth EN-->BE fields transfer?
No, the field names are irrelevant. If the fields are not being imported where you want, look at the import filter (EndNote Refer) and compare it to the file you are trying to import. It should be pretty obvious what you need to modify (see the User Guide for more details on this, if you like).

Jon
Sonny Software
frvs

Post by frvs »

No, the field names are irrelevant. If the fields are not being imported where you want, look at the import filter (EndNote Refer) and compare it to the file you are trying to import. It should be pretty obvious what you need to modify (see the User Guide for more details on this, if you like).

Jon
Sonny Software
Sorry, I'm not following you here. Do you mean the Endnote Refer file in the Bookends folder? (If so, how do I open it?)

Or do you mean the Endnote export style called Refer_export? (In this case, is this the file I have to tweak before following the export-import instructions for Endnote 6 or earlier as described in the Bookends User Guide?)

Again, many thanks!

Francisco
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

frvs wrote:Sorry, I'm not following you here. Do you mean the Endnote Refer file in the Bookends folder? (If so, how do I open it?)
Yes, that one. Open the Import Filter Window (in Bookends), select it from the list, and click on Edit. Compare it to the EN export file you are trying to import. I think a trip to the User Guide (section on import filters) would be very helpful here. :-)[/quote]

Post by Guest »

Jon wrote:I think a trip to the User Guide (section on import filters) would be very helpful here. :-)
Thank you so much. And yes, it's high time for a more thorough immersion in the User's Guide. I'm sorry.
Francisco