Date stamp in Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Eckius

Date stamp in Bookends

Post by Eckius »

I would like to put upon each item I put into my database some kind of date stamp, in order to mark the day it was inserted or revised. As far as I can see, the present version of Bookends doesn't have such an option, and Wordservice, which does offer it, unfortunately doesn't work with Bookends. Of course I can insert a date manually, but perhaps it would be nice to have a keystroke for this.

Are there others who would like to see such a feature in Bookends?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Ekius,

You know there is the option to date-stamp references as you import them, right (Misc tab in format definition)?

Jon
Sonny Software
Eckius

Post by Eckius »

No, I didn't, and I found the tab. Thanks! But that doesn't solve my problem (of you can call it that), because most of the time I don't import references, but, like many other people, just create them by myself.
Rudi_Grams

Post by Rudi_Grams »

Eckius,

There are several 'universal' helper programs that can be used to insert the date in a text field, examples are TypeIt4Me (US$27), Typinator (current beta US$15), CopyPaste-X (US$30). If you do not want to buy one of those then you could try to make use of AppleScript to get it done.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi all,

I'm planning on adding this in 8.0.5: Refs -> Insert Date

This will place the current date at the insertion point.

I'd rather not make this all that complicated (e.g. have to add a preferene pane for this), so the question is, what would most folks want:

1. Date only
2. What form for the date (obeying Mac OS X preference settings, of course): long, abbreviated?
3. Date and time
4. If time, what form?

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Please make it an internationally compatible. Which would probably mean storing the date in the ISO format (i.e. something like 2005-05-18 ).

Thanks for implementing this!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, as it's set now the date will be in short form: Wed, May 18, 2005 (for US, for example). But it should conform to the settings in the International Preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software