Question about folder location for Bookends users

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Question about folder location for Bookends users

Post by Jon »

For quite a while Bookends has kept the default Attachments folder and the Backup folder in ~/Documents/Bookends/. It's also the default location for new databases (all though you can use the Save dialog to put them where ever you want). Apps on the Mac App Store can't store such things in the Documents folder. Therefore, I'm planning to change these locations to

~/Library/Bookends/Attachments/
~/Library/Bookends/Backup/

and to make

~/Library/Bookends/

appear as the default location for saving new databases.

Does anyone have any reasons not to do this?

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Re: Question about folder location for Bookends users

Post by ozean »

No objections from my side.

I am wondering, however: Isn’t the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder the default folder for these things?

I guess I would prefer it if no non-Apple apps put folders into the "root level" of the Library folder itself – on my machine only Google and Mozilla do this… (Do you know Apple’s stance on this, by the way?)

And another question: what kind of files are applications allowed to store in the ~/Documents folder? It seems strange to me that PDFs etc. are not allowed there…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You're right, not may apps do this (although it's allowed by Apple). The non-Apple apps I see that do on my system are NeoOfficeJ, NoteBook, Sente, Snapz Pro X and TeXShop. Not many. I could just as easily put them in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends/

As for the Documents folder, the MAS recommendations explicitly rule out storing databases there. It's possible they'd allow an Attachments folder, but the only way to find out is to submit and get rejected.

Jon
Sonny Software
yojimbo

Post by yojimbo »

Hi Jon

Would we still have the option of choosing where our attachments are stored in preferences/general?

I have my BE attachments folder inside my dropbox (as in http://www.dropbox.com), so that I can read my pdfs on my ipod.

thanks
Last edited by yojimbo on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Sure. In any case, I've decided to move the Backup folder to Application Support, and to leave the default Attachments folder in Documents (which you can reassign in preferences). We'll find out later whether that's kosher or not.

Jon
Sonny Software
TokyoPaul

Post by TokyoPaul »

Jon,

As a long-time Mac user, I think that you've made the right decision regarding the placement of the folders.

In the case of Bookends, the Attachments folder contains user documents, which they may want access to in other ways than just through Bookends. It's nice to allow users to put it where they want, rather than forcing it in to the ApplicationSupport folder. If Apple give you a hard time with the default, can I suggest that perhaps you could make it so that the first time a user accesses the attachment feature, the application asks for the default location of the Attachments folder. Currently the first time a uses adds an attachment, the dialogue box asks for the location of the save folder *within* the attachments folder, but does not indicate the location of the attachments folder itself. From the attachment dialogue box, it would be nice to set the location of the attachment folder (even it that is a button which opens up another dialogue box).

I'm looking forward to the addition of Bookends to the Mac App Store, and plan on buying it as soon as its available!
Thanks!
chmars

Post by chmars »

Jon wrote:Does anyone have any reasons not to do this?
No, quite the contrary, I hate application folders in my 'Documents' folder and usually hide them in the Finder with chflags hidden. I am, however, worried about your mentioned move to the Mac App Store. What will happen to today's pricing model with student discounts, paid updates and Mellel/Nisus Writer Pro bundles?

Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The only thing that will be left in the Documents folder by default is your attachments (which are in fact your documents). If you don't them there, you can reassign them to where ever you want.

As for the Mac App Store, there are no discounts, as you know. But we'll continue to sell Bookends from our web site, and have no plans to change the current pricing schemes (although of course they could possible change in the future).

Jon
Sonny Software
chmars

Post by chmars »

Jon wrote:As for the Mac App Store, there are no discounts, as you know. But we'll continue to sell Bookends from our web site, and have no plans to change the current pricing schemes (although of course they could possible change in the future).
Thank you for your clarifications.

I am mainly worried about the Mac App Store as the only way of distribution. From a user perspective, the main advantage with regard to Bookends would be automatic updates (although the Mac App Store application has to be running all the time for such updates). Everything else looks lese attractive, especially the pricing … ;)

You are of course free to change your prices, to amend your pricing model and to decide about your ways of distribution, that is not the issue here.

Martin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Mac App Store will augment the distribution of Bookends, not replace it. I plan to have a web page where I point out the advantages and disadvantages of buying via the App Store.

Jon
Sonny Software